- Human Resources
- Who's Who
- Payroll Calendars
- Web-Based Training
- HR Highlights
- HR News and Media
- Employee Development and Orientation
- SU Statement of Non-Discrimination
- SU Policies and Procedures
- Performance Management
- Office of Group Benefits
- Teachers Retirement System of Louisiana
- LASERS Retirement Program
- LASERS Retirement Program Drop Summary
- Tuition Waiver & Payroll Deduction
- Downloadable Forms
- Contact Human Resources
Classified Performance Evaluation System
Performance Evaluation System (PES)
The Performance Evaluation System is a tool used to measure individual performance and to develop employees into high-performing individuals. The Performance Evaluation System is effective July 1, 2012 and applies to all classified employees: job appointment, probational and permanent. The performance evaluation year shall be July 1 through June 30 of each fiscal year.
Performance evaluations are maintained in the Human Resource Department in employee confidential personnel files.
Performance Evaluation Session: July 1 – August 31*
Performance Planning Session: July 1 – September 31*
Planning sessions for new hires and those employees being moved to a position having a different position number with significantly different duties should be conducted within three (3) months of the effective date.
*All planning sessions and evaluation ratings must be submitted to the Human Resources Department no later than August 31 (evaluations) and September 30 (planning sessions) of each fiscal year. If the deadline falls on a weekend, Holiday or University Closure, all forms are due in Human Resources the workday before.
2019 – 2020 Mandatory Evaluation Inclusions
Mandatory Behavior Expectation
Project a positive image of Southern University by providing high quality customer service by utilizing tone, body language and other verbal and non-verbal cues to convey a courteous and professional demeanor to clients on every level.
**The mandatory behavior expectation must be included on the performance planning document for all employees.**
Mandatory Work Expectation for Supervisors only
Performance Plans and Evaluations are to be completed accurately and submitted by required deadlines.
**The mandatory work expectation must be included on the performance planning document for all supervisors.**
Performance Evaluation System Toolbox
Unclassified Performance Appraisals
Performance Evaluation System – Unclassified
The annual performance appraisal provides a means to discuss, to plan and to review the performance of each non-faculty employee.
Performance Evaluation Cycle: July 1 – June 30
Unclassified Evaluation Policy Highlights:
- Employees and Supervisors will work together through the evaluation and planning process;
- Performance and goal planning should be done at least (30) days before the performance;
- Employees and supervisors must work together during the performance year to ensure the employee is getting feedback and the supervisor is documenting progress;
- If an employee changes jobs during the performance year, the supervisor will be required to complete an interim performance evaluation;
- If the employee is not meeting the performance goals or under-performing, the manager/supervisor will be required to prepare a performance improvement plan and provide follow-up to the employee;
- An employee who disagrees with their annual performance evaluation has a right to appeal to Human Resources. The Human Resource decision is final.
Performance Appraisal Tools:
- Performance Planning Form
- Goal Setting and Professional Development Plan
- Professional Development Plan
- Performance Appraisal: Interim Evaluation
- Notice of Improvement Needed/ Unacceptable Performance
- Employee Evaluation Form for Unclassified Staff
- Unclassified Self - Review Worksheet
- Performance Improvement Plan: Follow-up