Southern University opened its doors in 1880 in New Orleans, Louisiana, with 12 students, five faculty members, and a budget totaling $10,000. In 1914, the University was relocated to Louisiana's capital city - Baton Rouge.
The Southern University and A&M College System was created by the state legislature under the management of the Southern University Board of Supervisors. The University expanded to other cities in the state, establishing Southern University, New Orleans (SUNO), Southern University, Shreveport (SUSLA), the Southern University Law Center, and the Southern University Agricultural Research and Extension Center (SUAREC).
Campuses within the Southern University System are accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097; telephone number - 404.679.4501) to award certificate, associate, baccalaureate, master's, doctorate, and professional degrees. Southern University Law Center is accredited by both the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and the American Bar Association (750 N. Lakeshore Drive, Chicago, Illinois 60611; telephone number - 312.988.6738).